It is public knowledge that we now have a new Prince George!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SO EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I adore* learning about the Royal Family of Britain… especially Kate’s outfits! She is sooo fabulous! So naturally, I have been pretty interested in another Royal Family!
This is the official Royal Family of Morocco! King Mohammed the 6th, Princess Consort Lalla Salma, Prince Moulay Hassan and Princess Lalla Khadija. Lalla means “lady” and is given as a title to women of high standing in Morocco. This is a picture from Princess Khadija’s birthday and can sometimes be seen in businesses around Morocco. I am not sure if it is illegal to not to have a picture- but it is often frowned upon if there is no visual picture of the King. In government buildings there is always a picture of the King Mohammed the 6th or even the previous King Hassan the 2nd. The King has palaces in Rabat, Oujda, Casablanca, Ifrane and Tetuoan. I am sure he has more than that, but these are the main ones that he is said to often frequent.
This Royal Family is very progressive, especially when compared to the previous Kings and Queens.Some little tidbits about them include:
1) Princess Salma is the first queen to be in the public eye, she is also the first to hold a degree
2) King Mohammed became King in 1999 and later married Princess Salma in 2002.
3) Princess Salma is also the first wife of a Moroccan King to be given a Royal title
4) It is still considered illegal to openly criticize the King
5) This Royal family is apart of the ‘Alwai dynasty that has been in power since the 17th century
6) Today is the day that Mohammed the sixth’s ascension to the throne is celebrated!
7) Mohammed the 6th can speak Arabic, French, Spanish and English
8) Around the time of the Arab Spring- Mohammed the 6th made changes including the Mudawana code (the marriage code) which allowed women more choice in their marriages
9) Mohammed the 6th is one of the wealthiest monarchs in the world and leads the largest African monarchy
10) Mohammed the 6th has made promises for sweeping changes since he became king in 1999. His foundation that he created supports women empowerment centers, health centers, boarding houses for children and homes for the elderly.
Those are some of the Royal Family’s crowning achievements!!!!! Its not very much information… it is a bit difficult to find any type of dissension on the King or his family… although there is said to be a cousin of the King’s that lives in the United States that is an outright critic of the monarchy! More on that if I find it! 🙂
Hopefully the King didn’t have a bad heir day on his Throne Day today!!